Friday, February 27, 2009

A self-reprimand

I stood at the counter, mechanically slopping peanut butter and then jelly onto ten little pieces of bread. My mind wandered over each task of the day yet to be completed. In the deep recesses of my brain I could faintly hear a little voice calling my name. . .over and over again. It wasn't that I was ignoring the voice, it's just that, when you hear little voices calling your name all day, every day, it becomes almost effortless to let the other thoughts inside your head become louder.

Finally the little voice pushed it's way into the forefront of my mind.

"Mommy, mommy!"

Without looking up, I uttered my impatient response.

"What!"

There was a slight pause and then I heard the little voice say, sweetly and sincerely, "Mommy. . . .mommy, I love you!"

And then she was gone.

And as I stood there at the counter, my hand frozen in mid swipe, I realized that, no thought inside my head would ever be more important than that little voice.

5 comments:

Mamapierce said...

I know what you mean - that happens to me, too. Aren't those the most wonderful words in the whole world? I love you, Mommy. It doesn't get any better than that. (((HUGS)))

Michele said...

Very wise post. All too often we are taught this important lesson through those moments we miss.

I enjoy reading about your bustling family!

Heather~sheaaa6 said...

What a great post. I have had many "what?! responses myself and after reading your post I will certainly be more aware of those times. :)
Thanks for sharing this one.

Loya said...

This has happened to me more than once. You would think I would learn. I love how sweet they are at this age. Love ready your blog! Keep it up in all your extra time! You probably have more than me! ;)

marko said...

On the off chance that you require cash immediately, getting those obligations is not functional. Thus this arrangement is more useful under these arrangements. cash advance